The purpose of this surgical procedure, also called rhinoplasty, is to correct the nasal deformity and to give the nose a new, more beautiful and more natural shape that is compatible with the face. In case there are bony curvatures in the nose that prevent breathing, it is possible to correct these with deviation surgery. The purpose of rhinoplasty surgery, which is mostly known as nose reduction, is to give the nose an aesthetic appearance.
Before seeing your doctor, it will be helpful to identify all your problems with your nose. Stating whether you have breathing difficulties, nasal discharge, postnasal drip and headache will make it possible to solve these problems with this surgery.
Be sure to discuss your nose shape problems and the areas on your nose that you do not like and how much they can be improved with your doctor. The likelihood of your postoperative expectations will be expressed by your doctor.
The way to get rid of post-operative disappointment is possible by benefiting this period well. While very large defects from your point of view can be surgically corrected with a simple procedure, a very small detail can sometimes only be corrected with a difficult surgery.
What is the Purpose of Rhinoplasty Surgery?
The purpose of rhinoplasty is to make the most suitable nose for your face. This surgical procedure will undoubtedly be done with the existing tissues. In other words, the thickness of your skin, the thinness and shape of the existing cartilages, your wound healing capability and previous nose surgeries determine the success rate.
The aim is not to make a nose unrelated to your face, so making the best nose alone will not solve the problems. Making the most suitable nose for your face is considered to be the most successful result. While some parts of the nose are reduced, some parts of the nose are enlarged and a good looking nose is tried to be provided on the face.
The goal should be a natural appearance that does not overlook the nostrils, does not lose the bone roof and does not give the impression that it is operated.
Surgery and Aftermath
Rhinoplasty surgeries are the most performed plastic surgery operations in the world. The duration of the operation is approximately 2-3 hours. However, in special cases, this period may be longer.
Although postoperative bruising and swelling varies according to the skin structure of the person, it is much less common than previous surgical techniques. A silicone tampon is placed in the nose that will not prevent you from breathing for two or three days, and a small thermal splint is placed on the nose for 7-10 days.
Every person you meet after rhinoplasty surgeries will make different comments to you. This is related to different tastes as well as not knowing your old nose well. Even the experts of this subject can comment on your nose only by considering the old nose. It will be best to follow the changes related to your nose with your doctor over time.
After the operation, your nose will be edematous and swollen, these swelling will regress 95% in the first month, your nose will take its final shape about six months and a year later. This period can take up to two years in patients with thick skin, so our patients with thick skin need to be more patient.
Considerations after rhinoplasty
- In our smoking patients, postoperative recovery is late and edema lasts longer.
- Therefore, it is important for our patients to stay away from smoking after surgery.
- After the surgery, excessive physical activity and heavy lifting should be avoided.
- You should not take a bath or stay in a steamy environment until the bandages on your nose are removed.
- Excessive facial movements and laughter should be avoided for a week.
- Turtlenecks and tight-necked clothes should not be worn for 20 days following the surgery.
- Your face and nose should not be touched hard for 1 month and impacts should be avoided.
- Excessive sunlight should be avoided for 3 months following the surgery.
- You should stay in cool environments for the rapid regression of swelling and edema after the surgery.
- No medication should be taken other than those prescribed by your doctor.
- Glasses should not be worn for three months and then a light frame should be used afterwards.
- After your bandages removed, the skin of the nose should be cleaned with liquid soap or special lotions, make-up can be done after your bandages are removed.