Ozone therapy can be defined as the administration of ozone gas into the body by various methods to treat or help cure for diseases.
Ozone gas is a highly unstable gas consisting of three oxygen atoms discovered in the mid-19th century. For more than a century, the effects of ozone gas in treatment have been investigated and used. The clinical use of ozone was introduced by Hans Wolff in the late 1960s.
The effects of ozone have been proven and its efficacy is consistent and safe. It may have minimal preventable adverse effects. It is used in disinfection and treatment of diseases. Ozone therapy has been proven to be effective in many acute and chronic diseases. It is used in the treatment of jaw diseases in dentistry. It has also proven to be effective in the disinfection of water and sterilization of medical devices.
What is Ozone Therapy?
It is a complementary medical method applied by mixing ozone gas obtained from pure oxygen by a special generator with the patient’s own blood or by giving it to various parts of the body in gaseous form. Ozone Therapy is a treatment method that supports the current treatment of the patient.
Our body has the potential to renew and repair itself.
The blockage in this potential causes diseases. With the stimulating feature of ozone gas, the body is stimulated and it is aimed to eliminate the reasons preventing healing and to let the body heal itself.
What is Medical Ozone?
Ozone used in medical treatment is called “Medical Ozone”. “Medical Ozone Generator” devices are used to obtain medical ozone. In these devices, 100% pure oxygen is exposed to high electrical voltage and ozone / oxygen gas mixture is obtained.
How is Medical Ozone Used?
Medical ozone is applied by doctors trained on how to apply ozone to the blood, joints, spine and body cavities such as intestines and bladder.
For Who and Which Diseases Can Ozone Therapy Be Applied?
Oxygen is indispensable for our lives. Ozone therapy has also been found to be beneficial in many cases. Some of these are heart diseases, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia (muscle rheumatism), muscle and joint pain, herpes (cold sores), hepatitis (jaundice), diabetes, lung diseases, macular degeneration (eye diseases), intestinal diseases, autoimmune, infectious diseases (due to viruses and bacteria etc.), rheumatic diseases.
- Musculoskeletal pain and injuries (muscle, joint, tendon, ligament pains and rheumatic pains)
- Spinal disc diseases (pain due to waist and neck hernia)
- Myofascial pain, fibromyalgia
- Neuropathic pain (pain that causes complaints such as tingling, numbness, burning, chills in the hands and / or feet)
- Diabetic wounds addressed by the relevant specialist
- Limb injuries that cause blood flow impairment that does not have a chance to recover with treatment
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Fighting Stress
- Cellulite treatment
- Detox (Purification from Toxins) Ozone Therapy
- Geriatric conditions
Medical Ozone Application Methods
- Major Autohemotherapy (intravenous application)
- Minor Autohemotherapy (intramuscula application)
- Rectal Ozone application
- Topical Ozone application
- Intraarticular applications (intra-articular)
- Periarticular applications (joint circumference)
- Intramuscular applications
- Intradiscal applications
- Paravertebral application
- Peridural application
- Subcutaneous application
- Vaginal ozone application
- Intraauricular administration (ear)
- Intranasal administration (nose)
- Intratonsillar application
- Application to trigger points and acupuncture points
- Vesicoureteral insufflation
- Ozone sauna
Benefits of Ozone Therapy?
Ozone therapy is used safely in the treatment of pain, wound healing, in case of infection, regulation of the immune system, vascular occlusion, in cases where oxygen supply to the tissue is impaired, cancer, diabetes, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular occlusion, asthma, ulcerative colitis, and viral, bacterial and fungal infections. It is used for support against insulin and oral antidiabetics, painkillers, antibiotics, circulation regulating therapies, wound treatment, side effects of chemotherapy.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ozone Therapy
1. Is ozone therapy a safe method of treatment?
With the right hands and correct application methods, the rate of complications in ozone treatment is very rare (0.006%). Serious complications may occur when applied by untrained persons. For this reason, standardization of both education and application conditions in ozone treatment is very important. It is an application method that has been applied extensively in medical, dental and veterinary fields for more than fifty years. There are thousands of articles published on this subject in the literature. From these articles, data on the efficacy and safety of ozone have been obtained.
2. How does ozone gas work?
Ozone therapy stimulates the immune system in infectious diseases.
It increases the intracellular utilization of oxygen and reduces ischemia in cardiovascular diseases and many diseases associated with aging. It stimulates the regeneration of damaged joints and degenerative discs by releasing growth hormone. It significantly reduces chronic pain with its effect on pain receptors. Published articles have shown healing effects in chronic hepatitis, interstitial cystic disease, herpes infections, dental infections, diabetes and macular degeneration.
3. Who Cannot Have Ozone Therapy?
Situations that it is not absolutely applicable:
- Those with glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase enzyme deficiency
- Those with overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism), in case it is not controlled yet
- Blood cancer (leukemia)
4. What are the Inconvenient Situations in the Application of Ozone?
- Conditions with acute bleeding (heart attack, stroke, etc.)
- Those with uncontrolled heart disease
- People whose total antioxidant capacity is very weak.
- In people with who had organ transplantation
Boost Your Immune System with Ozone
Ozone therapy can change the natural course of many diseases and conditions. Evidence showing the vascular, hematological, immune system effects of ozone and its antioxidant capacity have been found in laboratory studies. Clinical studies are still ongoing to show that ozone therapy is beneficial in cardiovascular diseases, subcutaneous tissue, peripheral vascular diseases, neurological diseases, head and neck problems, orthopedic, gastrointestinal diseases, and genital and urinary system problems.
Ozone therapy has proven to be particularly beneficial in diabetic foot, ischemic wounds (malnutrition caused by decreased blood flow) and peripheral vascular disease (with obstruction or narrowing of arm and leg vessels). However, double-blind randomized controlled studies are still required to be conducted in this area.
Ozone therapy supports our body to renew itself. Ozone therapy is also applied to healthy individuals for anti-aging purposes. During this challenging period, it is also effective in the treatment of viral infections that affect us all and cause serious victimization and the post-infection effects on the body.
It allows our body to recover faster. Ozone supports our body, especially respiratory tract for all other infections and Covid viral diseases. It is successfully used in treatment with its antiviral and immune system supportive effect.